California Burrito Filling
Our family loves Mexican food. It is one of our favorite meals to have both at home and in a restaurant. We have tried just about every Mexican joint within 30 miles of our house. My favorite dish at our favorite place is the Burrito California. This is my take on their recipe. This works well in a 3-quart slow cooker.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp chile powder
- 1 onion, cut into eighths and separated
- 4 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups salsa verde
- Chiles, optional
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Spray the interior of the slow cooker crock with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chicken in the bottom of the crock.
- Sprinkle Chile powder over the chicken.
- Layer onion over the chicken.
- Add black beans and salsa verde.
- Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, shredded chicken.
- If desired, leave the lid off the slow cooker to allow some of the liquid to evaporate for the final 30 minutes of cooking.
- Tip: To shred the chicken in the slow cooker, use a potato masher with a down and twist motion. This may also mash some of the beans which will thicken the sauce. Each serving has 4 grams of fiber.