Healthy Vegetarian Chili
This chili is a delicious recipe that will warm you up on a winter afternoon. I am not a vegetarian but chili is one food that does not need meat. It’s perfect for watching March Madness or a football game. To get the texture of meat, I added lentils. This is a recipe the whole family will enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red, white, or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large poblano pepper, chopped
- 2 large jalapeños, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of lentils cooked
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans or white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar or lime juice, to taste
- Garnishes with chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, tortilla chips, sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, etc.
- In a large slow cooker or heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic or about 30-45 seconds.
- Add the chopped onion, poblano pepper, carrot, celery and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir to combine and then cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and oregano. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and their juices, the beans and lentils, and vegetable broth. Add 2 cups fo water. Stir to combine and let the mixture come to a simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally and reducing heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer, for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chili from heat.
- For the best texture and flavor, transfer 1 ½ cups of the chili to a blender and blend until smooth, then pour the blended mixture back into the pot.
- Garnish as desired.
- This recipe makes about 10 servings. Each serving has 16.5 grams of fiber.
Healthy Vegetarian Chilli Nutrition: