Red Tomatillo Salsa
I love Chipotle Mexican Grill. It is like the Subway of TexMex. If you make smart choices, it can be healthy. This recipe is a spicy salsa recipe inspired by their Red Tomatillo Salsa. It is not the same, but I am sure you will love it.
- 4 tomatillos, diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 serrano peppers, diced
- 1 Anaheim pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 12 ounce can of fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup jarred fire-roasted jalapeños
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Place tomatillos on baking sheet and broil until charred.
- Add tomatillos, jalapeños, Anaheim, poblanos, and Serrano peppers, Roma tomatoes, red onions, garlic, fire-roasted tomatoes, and fire-roasted jalapeños to a large pan. Simmer for 30 minutes on medium heat. This will expand the flavors.
- Next, add the lime juice, salt, cayenne, and red pepper flakes to the pot. Allow to cool then puree in a blender.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- This recipe is very flavorful but a little spicy. You may adjust the heat to your liking by using milder peppers and reducing the cayenne pepper and/or red pepper flakes. I am pretty sure your will like it. It should have about 1 gram of fiber per serving.
Nutritional Information for Red Tomatillo Salsa: