Spicy Red Pepper Hummus
It is Saturday, and this is a great recipe for game day. Yes, I know it is not nacho cheese, but you can dip with vegetable chips or bean chips and save a whole lot of calories.
- 3/4 cup of roasted red peppers
- 15 oz of chick peas
- 1 glove of garlic chopped
- 3 oz of lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Kosher salt to taste
- chopped parsley as a garnish
- Juice lemon and set a side.
- Chop parsley and set a side.
- Chop garlic and set a side.
- In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, roasted red peppers, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and salt. Pulse a few times to chop up the chickpeas.
- With the motor running, pour in the olive oil and process until a smooth paste forms. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Serve with pita chips, celery sticks, carrots sticks and radishes. You may want to let it warm slightly before serving.
- This makes 6-8 servings and is a perfect substitute for nacho cheese or guacamole. It has 2.1 grams of fiber. If you toast high fiber tortillas to make chips and dip a serving broccoli you can get 1/2 your required fiber in one meal.