Cinnamon works! Give it a try but consider using Ceylon cinnamon because it is safer at higher doses.
You have heard me say a million times that there is no quick fix when it comes to weight loss. Because being overweight or obese is so prevalent, the epidemic and potential cures are a favorite of the nightly news anchors. You can’t escape it. Although there is not a miracle pill or cure, there are many things that can help you and one of them might just be a common spice out of your kitchen cabinets.
First and foremost, let me make sure you do not miss this key point, so let me speak a little louder. This tip does not absolve you from the need to watch what you eat or allow you not to exercise. Louder: YOU WILL STILL NEED TO EXERCISE AND WATCH WHAT YOU EAT.
Is cinnamon safe? Yes. Generally speaking, cinnamon is safe for you. You should still consult a medical provider to ensure that it will not interact with your medication. Cassia cinnamon or —— can be hard on you liver so naturally, you should not take more than 2 grams and you should limit other medication that may be hard on your liver. An excellent resource on cinnamon is from the NIH.
Caution: Use caution when adding cinnamon to you diet when you are on medications that are metabolized in the liver. Medications that can harm the liver include acetaminophen (Tylenol), carbamazepine (Tegretol), isoniazid (INH), methotrexate (Rheumatrex), methyldopa (Aldomet), fluconazole (Diflucan), erythromycin, phenytoin (Dilantin), pravastatin (Pravachol), and simvastatin (Zocor). This list is not complete by any means. These are just a few of the common medications that came to mind for me; there are hundreds of others. Discuss taking cinnamon with your medical provider.
You must also be careful with medications that alter your blood pressure or sugar. Both of these can result in an even lower value or make you bottom out your blood pressure or sugar.
How does cinnamon effect your body weight? Well, it does not necessarily change weight but body fat stores. This change is what you really want anyway.
Mechanism of cinnamon in reducing body weight?
- Cinnamon appears to affect insulin levels and resistance.
- Some studies show that cinnamon imitates a form of the activity of insulin and lowers blood sugar,,. If true, this should reduce insulin spikes and body fat storage.
- Other studies show that insulin reduces insulin resistance ,,. A reduction in insulin spikes would make insulin better able to slowly lower blood sugar and would also reduce fat deposition.
- Cinnamon slows carbohydrate absorption. Studies indicate that cinnamon added to your food will reduce the glycemic index of your food by up to 18-29%. This would reduce insulin spikes and body fat storage.
- Cinnamon may reduce belly fat. Not much research out there but if insulin resistance is reduced and insulin resistance increases belly fat, then reducing insulin resistance should reduce belly fat.
Cinnamon lowers your LDL. Cinnamon reduces LDL,.
- Cinnamon suppresses your appetite.
Suggestions on how to add it to your diet:
- Supplements – This should be a last resort because who knows what is really in these pills.
- Add it to a smoothie in the morning.
- Add it to your protein shake.
- Add it to your chili.
- Sprinkle it over fruit.
- Add it to coffee or tea.
- Add it to cereal or oatmeal.
The bottom line: Cinnamon works! I started using it about two weeks ago and feel it works. Give it a try but consider using Ceylon cinnamon because it is safer at higher doses.